Our Mission and Values
Our mission is to accelerate progress in the medical device industry by
- providing quality services to our clients
- creating tools
- sharing knowledge
with the ultimate purpose of improving patient health
We do so while providing meaningful, flexible, and financially rewarding careers to our team.
Our values guide our work. They are a starting point for conversation, although we recognize they can be in tension with one another. Our company values are to:
Pursue a deep understanding 🔗
- We don’t just hack our way through problems.
- We aren't satisfied knowing that it works; we want to know why it works.
- We view each system logically and without superstition—there is no magic.
Continue learning 🔗
- We seek projects that will provide us with an opportunity to learn.
- We spend time most weeks learning and discussing topics related to our work.
- We document our work to learn and share knowledge.
- We experiment with new technologies to know which are the best tools for any job.
Do quality work 🔗
- We make time for detailed, in-depth code reviews.
- We write automated tests to guide our design and ensure our code continues working.
- We write code that is as simple as possible for others to understand.
- We make the time to design a good system architecture from the beginning.
- We strive to make our regulatory and quality procedures add value beyond mere compliance.
Treat our clients ethically 🔗
- We don’t provide unrealistic project estimates to close deals.
- We educate our clients so they can make good business decisions, never exploiting a lack of technical or regulatory expertise.
- We recommend partner firms if we believe they would be more appropriate in addressing a client’s problem.
- We write code that can be maintained economically, even if not by us.
Keep patients and users in mind 🔗
- We create devices that we'd feel comfortable using on our grandparents or children.
- We strive to understand our users' needs; we want clinicians to love our devices.
- We only work with clients who prioritize patient-safety and cybersecurity risks.
Integrate the business context 🔗
- We understand the purpose of a feature before implementing it, so that we don’t waste resources when alternative solutions may be available.
- We use technologies with our client’s best interest in mind, even if said technologies are less appealing to us as engineers.
Communicate clearly 🔗
- We write clear, professional, and unambiguous external communication.
- We invest in improving our writing, presentation, and conversational skills.
Be responsible for our work 🔗
- We follow through with our commitments.
- We don’t leave broken code, even if we didn't write it ourselves.
- We try to solve problems before asking for help, but we also know when to ask for it.
- We continually and actively improve our development processes.
Be pleasant to work with 🔗
- We help each other learn new things.
- We compliment others when they do good work.
- We do not complain.
- We don’t dump our work on others.
Respect the autonomy of fellow team members 🔗
- We avoid micromanagement.
- We value logic and reasoning over seniority when making technical decisions.
- We avoid prescribing solutions to a problem upfront; instead we prefer to let our engineers independently explore their ideas first.
Make the world better 🔗
- We work on projects we believe will make the world better.
- We financially contribute to open source projects that we use.
- We create open source tools to help others in our industry.
Enjoy our work, and relax 🔗
- We want everyone on our team to find their work to be meaningful.
- We provide a flexible work environment.
- We love working with talented people, regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or background.
- We push back on unrealistic deadlines.
- We encourage vacation to maintain a sustainable workload.